Wolfeboro Historical Society
South Wolfeboro, bordering on the towns of New Durham and Alton, was one of several self-sufficient areas that developed due to the early transportation difficulties. The community had a store, school, meeting house/church, the first volunteer fire department in Wolfeboro, and became a manufacturing center. There was the John Taber clay pipe business, sawmills and gristmills, and a large textile factory (1861-1925). Mink Brook, the outlet of Rust Pond, provided power to the businesses, supplemented by steam power when the water level was low.
As the area didn't have defined borders, some related information will be found in the Lake Wentworth group.
Another YourArchivist site